I have a growing stockpile of WSDs. That’s right, Weapons of Self-Destruction. (You heard it here first.) But unlike Sadam and the Ayatollah, my WSDs aren’t hidden; I carry them everywhere. And my WSD’s aren’t manufactured by Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman; they’re made by Apple and Blackberry. So whenever I want to self-destruct, I whip out one of my WSD’s and watch as my brain and body slowly atrophy. Drip, drip, drip… Log-in, log-in, log-in…
But have no fear: Sunday Pasta to the rescue! So drop that suicidal weapon disguised as a small screen, and pick up a wooden spoon. Put on a pot of boiling water. Don’t text; cook. Because this orecchiette con cavolfiore will save you and your family and friends from mutual assured self-destruction. Just remember. No WSD’s at the table!
Check out our wine pairings to complement this dish.Print
Sunday Pasta®: Orecchiette con Cavolfiore (Cauliflower)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 1 pound (or one head) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 anchovy filets
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
- Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
- Parmigiano cheese, grated (optional)
- In a large skillet, saute the garlic in olive oil until lightly golden. Add the anchovies and allow to dissolve. Using the back of a spoon, incorporate the garlic into the anchovies. Add the crushed red pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the cauliflower for a couple of minutes until al dente and remove with a slotted spoon. Place in the skillet with the anchovies. Cover to keep warm. Reserve the cooking for the pasta.
- In a small skillet, heat the bread crumbs until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Bring the pot of water back to a boil. Add salt. Cook the orecchiette until al dente and drain it, reserving some of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the cauliflower mixture and mix well, adding a bit of the cooking water if it seems dry. Mix in the breadcrumbs. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmigiano.