The Memorial Day barbeque just wouldn’t be the same without malloreddus. I mean, what red-blooded American patriot wouldn’t start off their family cookout with this Sardinian gnocchi treat?
Like any other holiday, the meal needs to start with pasta. On Thanksgiving Day, rigatoni gives way to turkey. Christmas ravioli give way to a roast. Today, malloreddus gives way to burgers and corn on the cob.
I can barely wait for my 4th of July spaghetti al pesto.
Check out our wine pairings to complement this dish.Print
Sunday Pasta®: Malloreddus con Melanzane, Mozzarella, e Pomodoro (Eggplant)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound malloreddus (or gnocchetti)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 medium mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 3–4 fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash and cut the eggplant into bite-sized cubes. In a large skillet over medium heat, add about 1/2 inch of olive oil for frying. When hot, add the eggplant and fry until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate cover with a paper towel. Add salt and set aside.
- In the same skillet, leaving only about 1/2 cup of olive oil, add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the tomato and cook for about 10 minutes until slightly reduced. Add salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and add to the tomato mixture. Add in the eggplant.
- Remove to a large serving bowl. Mix in the mozzarella.
- Serve immediately.