Curses! I broke a major kitchen rule while preparing this recipe. I left a drawer open after I grabbed the scissors to open the bag of peas. A bag of peas then proceeded to empty itself into my utensils drawer. Let me tell you, it isn’t easy to pick up a thousand peas from a drawer of forks and knives. Luckily for me, I have a sunny disposition and did it with a smile.
Of course, I then proceeded to drop a half-full container of Parmigiano cheese on the kitchen floor. Have you ever tried to clean up a spilled container of Parmigiano? Nevermind the precious loss of the cheese, but fresh Parmigiano doesn’t sweep and it doesn’t wipe.
Even my sunny disposition has its limits.
We are taught not to cry over spilled milk, or broken plates and cracked glasses. But a pound of Parmigiano! Curses!
Sunday Pasta® Recipe: Risotto con Salsiccia e Piselli (Sausage and Peas)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 cups arborio or cannaroli rice
- 1 cup peas (thawed if frozen)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 32 ounces vegetable broth, kept warm
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in the olive oil. When translucent, add the sausage and break apart with a fork into small crumbles. Add the rice and mix together until translucent. Then add the wine and allow to evaporate.
- Lower the heat. Slowly add a ladle of broth and mix together until absorbed. Continue adding broth until all is absorbed, cooking for about 15 minutes. The rice should be creamy and al dente. Add the peas near the end of the process. Add the Parmigiano and serve immediately with some freshly ground black pepper.
Check out our Wine Pairings to compliment this dish!