- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound orecchiette (or penne)
- 8 ounces fresh stracciatella cheese
- 1 can (28+ ounces) of Italian tomatoes, peeled, with basil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4–5 basil leaves, coarsely chopped (optional)
Which wine do
I pair with this recipe?
Check out our wine pairings to complement this recipe!Find Out
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until golden. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until reduced.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain it well and add it to the sauce, and mix well over medium heat.
- Serve immediately with a spoonful of stracciatella.
Who needs Cold War when you can have hot pasta? They say that peace is made around the table. If this is truly the case, then this delicious bowl of orecchiette con straciatella could calm the most restless of peoples. Let’s send this envoy to the Middle East. Forget sanctions and military interventions, all we really need to do is serve up some good pasta.
Stracciatella is a creamy, fresh cheese, so you’ll have to ask a specialty Italian store to find it. It is essentially the inside of a burrata, made of cream and some pieces of mozzarella. Any effort to find it will be worth it. Peace at any price.