- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 heads radicchio, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, de-cased
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound orecchiette
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Which wine do
I pair with this recipe?
Check out our wine pairings to complement this recipe!Find Out
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the sausage and break apart with a fork. When the sausage is no longer pink, add the wine and cook for a few minutes. Add the radicchio and cook for 5-10 minutes, until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, retaining some of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the radicchio mixture. Mix well, adding some of the retained cooking water if it seems dry.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmigiano.
I'm a Libra. Luckily, this means that I seek out beauty and balance. Sure, beauty is easy. But balance is hard; I prefer to juggle the extremes rather than rest in the middle.
Today's pasta brings out the Libra in me. The beautiful colors popped. The white onion on the yellow olive oil. Then the pink sausage and the bright purple of the radicchio. Dazzling. The flavors popped too. Biting onion, bitter radicchio, sweet sausage.
But in the end, balance was achieved. The colors softened and the flavors merged. They say that beauty fades, and in this case, it faded into a delicious bowl of pasta.