- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans, or one 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, with casings removed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound conchiglie, or short tubular pasta
- Grated Parmigiano
- Soak dried beans overnight in abundant water. In the morning, drain, add to a large saucepan, and cover them, plus a few inches, with fresh water. Gently boil over medium-low heat for 2 hours or until tender but not mushy. Drain and reserve until needed for pasta.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is lightly golden. Crumble the sausage into the skillet, and cook until the sausage is lightly browned. Add the beans to the sausage mixture. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, making sure that the beans do not disintegrate.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta until al dente (about 2 minutes less than the package directions), drain, and retain 1 cup of cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the beans. If the mixture seems dry, add some of the pasta water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated Parmigiano.
Please note that it this dish takes 30 minutes, plus time to soak and cook the beans.