Sunday Pasta®: Penne al Forno con Melanzana (Eggplant)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1 pound penne (or other tubular pasta)
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into cubes
- 12 ounces ricotta
- 1 medium ball (12 ounces) mozzarella
- 4–6 cups tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
For the Sauce:
- 1 28+ ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, puréed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4–6 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Start to prepare the sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until golden. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook on low heat, uncovered for about 20-30 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, in another a skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the eggplant. Sauté until lightly golden. Remove to paper towel.
Prepare the ricotta mixture:
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano, salt and pepper. Cut the mozzarella into pieces and mix into the ricotta mixture.
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta for 1/2 of the packages’ recommended time. Drain the pasta and add it to the ricotta mixture. Mix in the tomato sauce and eggplant.
- Add the pasta mixture to the bake pan. Sprinkle with Parmigiano. Bake uncovered at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.