I love America. She has been very good to me and my family, and to countless others. She has spread and protected democracy, optimism, dreaming, and opportunity like no other country on earth, ever. The best! But is it possible to be too good at what you do?
I can’t help but think about some of America’s other gifts to the world: Fast food expertly sold to little kids! Violent video games to entertain teenagers! Synthetic opioids for any adult who asks! All the “news” you can eat, all the time! Guns! Drugs! Porn! Diabetes! Obesity! Credit cards! Aspartame and GMOs! And my favorite of all, Coke Zero! (The name says it all.)
So let’s take a deep breath. Maybe we can learn a few things from Italy (with its 3,000 years of food and family wisdom). This week, Fusilli with tuna and red peppers. Simple, fast, easy, healthy, cheap, and safe. Viva l’Italia!
Yes, I love America, but let’s not take it for granted.
Sunday Pasta® Recipe: Fusilli con Tonno e Peperoni (Tuna and Red Peppers)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound fusilli
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 5-ounce cans Italian tuna, packed in olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Rinse the pepper under cold water. Cut in half, remove the seeds and inner white, and then cut into bite-sized strips or cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the peppers, and cook for about 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Drain the tuna, and add to the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente and drain, retaining some of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the skillet and mix well, adding some of the cooking water if it seems dry.
- Serve immediately.
Click here for Wine Pairings for this wonderful dish!