Sunday Pasta®:Fusilli alla Checca (Tomato and Mozzarella)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmigiano
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the tomatoes and cook for 90 seconds. Remove them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Peel, seed and cut them into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large bowl, add the mozzarella, ¼ cup olive oil, basil, parsley, salt and pepper, and mix together.
- Cook the pasta until al dente (about 2 minutes less than the package directions).
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in ¼ cup olive oil. Add the tomatoes when the onion begins to turn golden and stir. Cook 10 minutes, or until the pasta is done.
- Drain the pasta and add to the serving bowl with the mozzarella. Stir in the tomato mixture and serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano.